[SWLUG] Ubuntu - the fixings

Gareth Bowker tgb at tgb.org.uk
Mon Apr 4 15:46:50 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 04:31:55PM +0100, Rhys Sage wrote:
> Looks like Ubuntu's working well. I plugged in a USB
> flash media reader and it reads my CF cards. It keeps
> asking if I want to import photos though and only
> wants to import my jpeg files rather than my mov and
> avi files. How do I get it to do all of them
> automatically?

Take a look at
http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/why_do_all_the_photo_import_programs_suck-2005-03-27-22-08
which might give you some ideas. It's a little terse, but will hopefully
give you enough info to get things working. Either that or you'll
hideously break everything ;)

> I've copied (via CF card) the RPM file for gnucash.
> How do I make it work on Ubuntu? So far I found that
> the RPM is the same as a zip file on Windows (with
> loads of folders inside, one curiously being called
> "etc"). Can I have simple blow-by-blow instructions on
> this please? Once I've done it once, I might be able
> to do it again.

Ubuntu doesn't use RPM files natively. Ubuntu is derived from Debian,
which uses .deb files. You *can* use RPMs using a tool called alien, but
I'd try to avoid it if you can. If you can, connect the machine to the
internet and then follow the following page to add the Universe
repository to Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/UniversePackages
Once you've done that, you should be able to run:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gnucash

and apt-get will go and download everything you need. The "problem" with
GNUCash is that it has a *lot* of dependencies (other .deb files that
need to be installed alongside it) for it to work - you'll save yourself
a lot of time and hassle if you can just connect the machine to the
'net.

Gareth