[SWLUG] Ubuntu - the fixings

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 4 16:02:43 UTC 2005

Ubuntu doesn't use RPM files natively. Ubuntu is
derived from Debian,
which uses .deb files. You *can* use RPMs using a tool
called alien, but
I'd try to avoid it if you can. If you can, connect
the machine to the
internet and then follow the following page to add the
Universe
repository to Ubuntu:
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/UniversePackages
Once you've done that, you should be able to run:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gnucash

and apt-get will go and download everything you need.
The "problem" with
GNUCash is that it has a *lot* of dependencies (other
.deb files that
need to be installed alongside it) for it to work -
you'll save yourself
a lot of time and hassle if you can just connect the
machine to the
'net.

At the moment, the system's offline. I intend getting
it online but not immediately. I tried to enter "sudo
apt-get install gnucash" in the terminal screen but it
didn't like it, coming up with an error indicating it
could not find gnucash. For simplicity, although it's
on the desktop as a deb file, I also have a copy on
sda1. I'm logged in as the sole user on my system. Is
that a problem? Should I be logged in as root? I feel
I must be missing something simple.