[SWLUG] semi-OT but *nix related

Adam Rykala adam at rykala.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 7 23:39:03 UTC 2005

On Friday 08 April 2005 12:25 am, Gerald Davies wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2005 11:48 PM, Adam Rykala <adam at rykala.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > I'm currently playing with FreeBSD to learn more about it and I am
> > seriously considering swapping my gateway machine here over to it in the
> > summer. Does anyone know of any good sites (besides www.freebsd.org ;-)
> > that outline a good sort of transition type scenario from Linux to *BSD?
>
> apart from the obvious (which you can find in print via oreilly):
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/
>
> when i was new to fbsd and didn't know the location or how things
> worked i came across this, which did prove useful on occasion and
> might have something of worth:
>
> http://www.freebsddiary.org/
>
> other than that it's the usual for me - mailing lists, google.groups,
> etc.  its quite easy to get up and running with any type of unix
> background.  btw, can i ask why fbsd and not obsd as a router? or was
> that a hardware choice rather than software?  just interested... i
> quite like playing about with stuff like that.

Mainly

a) It looks as if Freebsd works with the Speedtouch modem, which I know a lot
of people don't like but works a charm for me

b) it was the first choice to download and test on a spare box I have here ;-)
I got hold of FB4.11 to work with ;-)

I started out on unix style systems, worked a bit with AIX and ICL DRS NX
(which for the life of me now I cannot remember if were SYSV or BSD as this
was a number of years ago!)

Plus it'll be more then a router - I use this machine to do my bits and bobs
on and FB looks the safer bet - saying that mind I'm considering the halfway
house of Gentoo as I like the ports system a lot, and that way I haven't got
to go back to "Duhhhh how do you ...." ;-)

--
adam rykala / adam at rykala.demon.co.uk / pgp key id: 0x7f3c5776

	    Isn't Disneyland a people trap run by a mouse?