[SWLUG] Carmarthen meeting timings

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Apr 19 08:12:07 UTC 2005

For those people who wonder why the meeting schedule is so weird,
it went like this:

We couldn't decide between Swansea and Cardiff and so decided
to alternate between them.

We couldn't decide on a day of the week. Every single day was
a problem for somebody. So we decided to vary the day.

We are cheap and didn't want to hire a venue except when we
were actually going to do something. It is not very easy to find
quiet pubs at the end of the week. So we decided that we wouldn't
meet coming up to weekends.

(4) "About two weeks" seemed reasonable. So it went:

   Monday (Cardiff)	(wait two weeks and a day)
   Tuesday (Swansea)    (wait two weeks and a day)
   Wednesday (Cardiff)  (wait two weeks less two days)
   Monday (Swansea)     (wait two weeks and a day)
   Tuesday (Cardiff)    (wait two weeks and a day)
   Wednesday (Swansea)  (wait two weeks less two days)

And this was all so far, so dubious, but we had written a script to
generate the days by then (and it promptly suggested Cardiff on
Christmas Eve, but there we go).

We did occasionally talk about Carmarthen meetings, but we
never got around to it until Dafydd suggested the first Thursday
of the month in the Hen Dderwen. This worked reasonably well,
except that at least two of the people who live in the Carmarthen
area can't make the first Thursdays of the month, so last month
we tried the second Thursday of the month. At which stage Certain
People Who Asked For This Change promptly didn't come.

So that's why it is the way it is. Please do snip all of it
in any replies: it looks mad enough just seeing it once.

Anyway, at the last meeting in Carmarthen we talked about changing
the dates or the frequency or otherwise stopping Carmarthen meetings
from always being right next to the Cardiff ones.

Any thoughts from people on that? Good plan, bad plan, "keep the
curry" (Thursday nights are curry nights at the pub there)? If the
dates or the rota should change, how should they change? How often
should we be going where?

There is an entire other thread someone could start about what
we _do_ at these. Some people are happy with a social. Others
want more out of it: talks, etc. But for that to happen, we need
a (different) venue -- quiet, projector screen/flipboard/whatever,
and probably enough power for more than one laptop to be plugged
in, for starters -- and someone willing to talk on a topic and
people willing to show up even if it is not the topic they
particularly wanted. I can think of one which would do for small
things in central-ish Swansea, but know nothing about Cardiff or
Carmarthen. Anyway, perhaps that should be another thread.

Thoughts on "I would go to Carmarthen meetings if..." timing?

Telsa