[SWLUG] Carmarthen meeting timings

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Apr 19 14:04:24 UTC 2005

On Tue Apr 19 09:12:07 2005, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> Any thoughts from people on that? Good plan, bad plan, "keep the
> curry" (Thursday nights are curry nights at the pub there)? If the
> dates or the rota should change, how should they change? How often
> should we be going where?

I'd say make them once a week, rotating around Mon/Tues/Wed/Thu (4
days for 3 events, rather than 3 days for 2), skipping a week between
each rotation. (So Thu -> Mon).

This means that we'd get:

Mon: Carm
Tue: Swan
Wed: Card
Thu: Carm
*empty*
Mon: Swan
Tue: Card
Wed: Carm
Thu: Swan
*empty*

I think this is what got discussed on IRC - it's not my idea, but it
seems about right to me. It means that at any given location, there
are meetings about every three weeks. For people who can only make
one "end" of Wales, that's a meeting every week or two, and in rare
cases three. (Possibly we avoid the empty week if it means
Card->Carm, and eliminate the three week wait.)

> There is an entire other thread someone could start about what we
> _do_ at these. Some people are happy with a social. Others want
> more out of it: talks, etc.

I'd humbly suggest that *if* we can think of Things To Talk About,
then this could quite easily be Yet Another Meeting. Swansea is
probably most central to us all. These could slot into the "empty"
week quite easily, allocating the day depending on where we can get
the cheap venue, etc.

I like the social meetings, even more when I can actually attend
them. I'd be interested in some Talks And Serious Things, too.

One of the more interesting problems to solve with the talks is that
we have a wide spectrum of members - ranging from first-time users to
world-famous gurus. We also range from home users to business users,
and include businesses which actually offer services around Linux and
related things (like hardware).

Dave.