[SWLUG] RE: Samaritans

Gerald Davies gerald.davies at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 15:19:48 UTC 2005

On 4/24/05, Peter Joseph <kneecaps at shockpulse.co.uk> wrote:
> peter wrote:
>
> Secondly, why is it assumed that the Windows environment is the
> 'baseline' for comparison. People use unfamilliar systems every day, and
> the majority of those who are inclined do manage to use them.

possibly due to its market share in the desktop environment.  its a
common desktop - if they're familiar with it then they just might want
to stay with it.  you're a geek therefore its easy for you to imply
its easy to switch, but not everyone can or will want to.

> For example, when you buy a new mobile phone, do you have a transition
> period from your Nokia style inteface to your Siemens style interface.
> You don't, you go from the old to the new and are expected to adapt.

again, i bet people stick with the brands due to familiarity.  i
swapped my nokia for a pony ericsson and i *so* regret it.  nokia's UI
is far superior IMHO. < /tangent>

oh i dunno. g