[SWLUG] Newbie alert!

steve at nexusuk.org steve at nexusuk.org
Tue Aug 16 08:47:00 UTC 2005

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Glenn Booth wrote:

> Both - primarily, I want to learn Linux (properly - I'd prefer if it was
> vendor neutral), but having gone this far down the road of being a
> tech support professional, I'd like to get  something to show for it.
> One day soon I'll need a job again...

I'm afraid there is probably no such thing as "vendor neutral" when it
comes to learning Linux.  The best you can really do is dabble in a
variety of distributions.  The basics are the same but if you want to keep
clear of the differences between them you will be severely limited.  I
think most people end up with a favorite distribution or set of
distributions which they will stick to where possible.

> I've been using Linux on and off since Slackware was a 13 diskette
> download from FidoNet, but I've never really got to the nuts n bolts. I
> keep picking it up, then putting it down again for various reasons.
> It's time I got some of it to 'stick in my brain' for longer than it
> takes to solve a customer's problem.

Wipe windows and then you'll have to learn how to do everything under
Linux :)

--

  - Steve    XMPP/Jabber: steve at nexusuk.org    Web: http://www.nexusuk.org/