[SWLUG] Re: Newbie alert!

Glenn Booth d.glenn.booth at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 19:38:01 UTC 2005

Hi,

On 8/16/05, steve at nexusuk.org <steve at nexusuk.org> wrote:

> I'm afraid there is probably no such thing as "vendor neutral" when it
> comes to learning Linux.  The best you can really do is dabble in a
> variety of distributions.

Agreed, hence my use of the "". What I'm getting at is I'd like to learn
it the way that is most likely to get a result on a wide variety of boxes
(e.g. using VI or VIM instead of a GUI editor, hand tweaking /etc config
files rather than using some weird GUI tool that asks the wrong questions
and makes no effort to inform you what has been done and then doesn't
do what it should etc etc).

> Wipe windows and then you'll have to learn how to do everything under
> Linux :)

Sadly not an option at the moment, but I'm working on it. I'm fortunate
enough to have a bunch of machines, and right now  I find that I'm
spending more time at the Linux machine than the others, so I'm
getting there.

Regards,

Glenn.