[SWLUG] #swlug IRC channel location - reasons to move

Chris M. Jackson chriscf at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 16:50:54 UTC 2005

On 8/15/05, Gerald Davies <gerald.davies at gmail.com> wrote:
> In fairness to Pete (nermal), we've talked about forming a Cardiff LUG
> on a number of occasions.  This isn't the first time it's cropped up.
> I'm sure other cities have their own LUGs (I remember Bristol having
> it's own LUG) and to me, it's quite bizarre being part of a LUG with
> both Swansea and West Wales.  The odds on me seeing the folk in West
> Wales are so slim and I'm sure it's the same for others.  I'd be quite
> happy for a split or a more local group (one where I get to see Gedge
> in action a bit more).  It doesn't mean that we cannot attend each
> others meetings, but it makes these silly differences of opinion -
> largely between Cardiff folk and those in Swansea and West Wales a bit
> easier to take.

On the lesser note of IRC, if we're going to move, it really should be
an upgrade either to a better protocol or somewhere the LUG might have
more control (e.g. a dedicated IRC server) - better still, a
combination of the two.  Personally, I'm not really seeing a benefit
to a move to OFTC.  If anything, what's been presented seems to me not
so much reasons to move to OFTC as reasons to move from Freenode.  The
same reasoning could be applied to a move to any other network.  Of
course, a few good push factors and I will happily unstick myself from
the mud :-)

On the somewhat more important issue of the group as a whole, I'm not
sure that a complete split would be the right way to go.  On one side,
some will complain that all the big decisions end up taken by a small
hardcore in Swansea.  On the other, some will say that few people tend
to volunteer, leaving the same old people to do the work.  An option
worth considering, at the risk of factionalising the LUG even more, is
to form "branches".
A while ago, I considered forming a mini-LUG within the Uni, having
found a number of people develop an interest in *nix having used the
Suns, and Linux PCs which have replaced them.  Forming branches might
at least give people a chance to get involved a bit in things, such as
the impromptu gathering last night, as well as perhaps lending a
distinct identity.  In general, the atmospheres at Swansea and Cardiff
meetings have been very different, what with one being in a
distinctive wine bar and the other having been in a rather good coffee
shop and later in a Wetherspoon pub.  As annoying as his rants may
get, Pete at least makes an effort to meet and greet new people at the
meetings.

While I don't necessarily agree with a change in IRC network, change
is definitely needed somewhere.

--
Chris Jackson
Now with enhanced time-wasting capabilities