[SWLUG] Lightning Talks

nat nat at nuqe.net
Fri Aug 19 23:21:14 UTC 2005

On 17 Aug 2005, at 16:07, Justin wrote:

> One suggestion is the idea of 'Lightning Talks' which consist of 5
> minute timeslots, where people can give a short talk on, well, pretty
> much anything they like. It can be a short talk with a few slides on
> some project you've been working on, through to just a few words on
> some
> program you love/loath and why.
>
> To make this really work we would try to encourage everyone that
> came to
> the meeting to stand up and say something, once, or many times.
>
> What do people think of this idea? or any other suggestions?

I think its a great idea and I'd be willing to put together 1 or
maybe 2 short
5 minute presentations.

I've really enjoyed the lightning talks at FOSDEM and other open
source events
in the past.

Couple of things I could talk to spring to mind:

- Our load balanced PXE booting diskless web server farm.

- BGP and how the internet hangs together, zebra/quagga, transit/
peering etc...

- Fotopic and our use of open source.

Some things I'd be interested in learning about from others:

- Docbook, openjade etc, and how to create PDF/rtf files from a
common format

- LDAP / PAM intergration stuff

- How to get multiple monitors working under X, as Sam at work is
always asking :-)

- LVM and software RAID

- Some demo's of Dave Cridland's IMAP clients and other crazyness :-)

Kind regards,

nat,
--
http://photos.nuqe.net        PGP: 0x76CBE686