[SWLUG] Lightning Talks

Kris Zani kriszani at iscavision.com
Mon Aug 22 10:28:21 UTC 2005

Hi Keith

> Kris, I respect your enthusiasm, but Telsa is right: this would be a
> huge undertaking. Part of the problem is that programming is a hybrid
> of art and science - truly excellent code takes on a beauty of its
> own, although other programmers may not consider it beautiful. See,
> just like art! To teach programming well, you'd need to take on some
> philosophy as well as the nuts and bolts of a HOWTO at a technical level.

I do understand this and sort of agree, but let me give you my opinion
on the subject.

You can teach many things but you cannot actually teach how to program.
People can learn it but you cannot teach it.  All you can do is put them
through a set of exercises or situations where they can learn in a
structured environment with adequate supporting resources.  Its almost
identical to problem solving, by teaching it you are in fact just
teaching people to solve the problems you are showing them.  Does this
make sense?

> I infer from your post that you are not a programmer (apologies if I'm
> wrong), in which case I really don't think that, even with the best
> will in the world, you're going to be able to teach programming
> effectively.

OK.  Just to set the record straight, I have a degree in Computer
Studies from the Uni of Glam.
And can program well in the following C#, VB 6 /.NET, PHP, ASP,
adequately in Java, Python and have some experience in LISP, C, C++,
bash and a host of less useful (to me) scripting languages like Lingo,
VRML, SMIL, actionscript etc.

But if this is not what people want then just ignore the post.  It
doesn't matter if the idea fails, but if people want to try it then its
worth pursuing.