[SWLUG] vCD writing software

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 10 14:12:39 UTC 2005

Is there any software available that will really work
and really write a vCD in either NTSC or PAL format
for Linux?

I've tried about 8 Windows vCD and video DVD writing
programs and had a zero success rate. One program even
spent ages telling me it was writing to my CD and left
the CD completely blank!

If you use Windows, I can recommend avoiding:
Microsoft Digital Image Suite, - ignores AVI and
QuickTime files.
Roxio Easy CD and DVD creator - doesn't do anything.
ArcSoft ShowBiz - pretends to write to a CD but
doesn't.
VCD Easy - incomplete - keeps asking for non-existant
DLLs.
Sonic - claims every CD/DVD is too small for the image
it wants to write (when writing one 128mb file).
Picassa - doesn't write vCDs.
Photo2VCD - incomplete; missing DLLs.
Nero 5 - incomplete; missing DLLs.
Ulead's DVD Picture Show - fails to ascertain the
required format (NTSC/PAL).

As you can see, my Windows experience of vCD writing
software is pretty miserable. it was a toss-up as to
whether I went Windows or Mac when I built my last
computer. I can see Macs in my future.

Between now and my going Mac, is there anything under
Linux (I have Mandrake 10.1) that will work without my
having to pay money out or mess around compiling
software - something that'll just work from the word go?