[SWLUG] Aldi TV Card

Julian Hall linux at kaotic.co.uk
Sun Jan 16 12:52:08 UTC 2005

Terry John wrote:

>The thing to bear in mind is the picture quality. If you want to burn DVD's make sure it can do MPEG-2 or 4. I'm not sure which one (Perhpas someone can clarify)

Hi All,

Standard PAL DVD quality is MPEG-2, 720*576.  Full AVI (uncompressed)
uses about 8Gb an hour so you need a hefty HD (and a fast one - ie
7200rpm).  MPG capture needs more welly in the CPU as it is compressing
on the fly.  The upside is you can get away with a smaller HD as the
MPGs are a damn sight smaller :)

Terry, I want to do video capture on my Linux box (currently stuck to
using Pinnacle Studio in Win XP) so I would be very interested to know
how easy it was to configure (as I'm not *that* experienced with Linux
yet).  Oddly enough though I was looking at the same card you have (the
Leadtek) as a friend has one on his Windows box.  I have Mandrake 10.0.
Did you have much fiddling to get the Leadtek to work in Linux?

Kind regards,

Julian