[SWLUG] Starting with Linux

Gerald Davies gerald.davies at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 17:28:23 UTC 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:05:14 +0000, Hugh Morris <hugh at salsacardiff.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> I want to start using Linux on a brand-new desktop machine (not yet
> bought). Are there any Linux-savvy PC builders in Cardiff who can build
> me a box and install and configure a Linux OS on it. I'm thinking... Debian.

Without wanting to sound a little harsh, wouldn't you be better off
installing the OS yourself?  Either spec up a box yourself and check
its compatible or buy something pre-built, then install the OS.  That
way when* you trash the box you'll have no problem settting it back up
again.  Plus, you can configure the box to how you want rather than
how someone thinks it should be.

* If you're new to Linux I bet you do trash it at some point :)  I
always think its good to break things like that as you learn from it.