[SWLUG] Starting with Linux

Hugh Morris hugh at salsacardiff.com
Tue Jan 18 17:05:14 UTC 2005

Hi Everyone

I want to start using Linux on a brand-new desktop machine (not yet
bought). Are there any Linux-savvy PC builders in Cardiff who can build
me a box and install and configure a Linux OS on it. I'm thinking... Debian.

The computer would be a fairly powerful general-purpose machine: ATX
Midi case, AMD processor, separate graphics card, separate sound card,
200GB Hard disk space, re-writable DVD, ethernet, etc.

The new machine would be Linux only (not dual-boot) I intend to get a
Linksys DSL modem/router and network the new machine with my existing
Windows 98 one.

I've had very little Linux experience but I don't think I'll have much
difficulty once I've got an installation up and running.

If you can point me towards a business that could help me with this I'd
be very grateful. Any other tips and advice welcome too.