[SWLUG] Proposed change of Cardiff venue

Pete Prior swlug at nermal.org
Wed Jun 8 08:09:29 UTC 2005

Hi All,

Yesterday was a lovely evening.  I arrived at Shot In The Dark, paid
£2.60 for a bottle of beer after waiting 10 minutes to get served,
walked upstairs to a hot smokey room and started sweating profusely.

It was about this time I decided it was a waste of a beautiful evening
and my hard earned cash and suggested we move next door to Wetherspoons,
which we did.

This had several advantages over Shot In The Dark:

* It has a beer garden at the back with nice big tables - splendid on a
nice evening
* It is quiet enough in the week to get at least one or two big tables
* No music so easier to hear people talk
* Far cheaper
* Faster service
* Food is pretty good - it's got better recently
* They serve non-alcoholic drinks too - Coffee, tea, coke, lemonade,
J2O, etc
* They have a nice selection of old man ales

All in all a splendid evening.  It's a lot easier to sit round a big
table and talk than in many different places on tables that smash into
your knees.

In short, I propose slapping a 301 Moved Permanently on the door of Shot
In The Dark and moving to Wetherspoons - at least when the the weather
is nice.

The only disadvantage would be minors being present, but

a) I'm not aware of many minors at the cardiff meets
b) on a lovely evening such as last night they should be outside playing
football with jumpers for goalposts ;)

Let me know what you think.