[SWLUG] Proposed change of Cardiff venue

Geraint Edwards gedge-lists at yadn.org
Wed Jun 8 08:28:47 UTC 2005

Ysgrifennodd Pete Prior <swlug at nermal.org> said
		(on Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 09:09:29AM +0100):

> Shot In The Dark, paid ?2.60 for a bottle of beer
> after waiting 10 minutes to get served,
> walked upstairs to a hot smokey room and started sweating profusely.

*nod*

> [Wetherspoons has] several advantages over Shot In The Dark:
> * No music so easier to hear people talk

As someone who has only ever been to one (Cardiff) meet, these
are high among the reasons I haven't rushed back.

I didn't really know anyone, and Shot in the Dark didn't strike me
as conducive to make small-talk (didn't like the atmosphere: too
hot, too noisy, too planted-in-a-large-chair with no room to mingle
or overhear/get-involved-in other conversations).

I was stuck next to some guy I didn't want to speak to (and he was
the one I came with! ;-) ).

So, I vowed to join the irc channel and try to at least get to know
a few people before coming again, so I could make better use of my
next meet.

If the venue changes to somewhere where I can get a drink, and
hear more than the one person shouting in my ear, hopefully not
too smokey, I may even mingle(!), then I'm all for this change.

Shame about the under-18s, though.  I think the age rule in
Wetherspoons is that they prefer over-60s. :)

--
Geraint A. Edwards (aka "Gedge")
gedge at yadn.org