[SWLUG] Available kit

Chris M. Jackson chriscf at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 22:43:37 UTC 2005

Some of you at the Cardiff LUG meet will remember Celia, the widow
with vast amounts of kit lying around and a desire to reclaim a
bedroom.  Normally, I look on these things with low expectations,
thinking of "lots of kit" as "a few spare parts and maybe a system or
two", and was shocked with the volume that I actually found.

I've made off with various bits of cabling, a few O'Reilly books and
another box (these things under my desk are breeding ...), and she's
still got a pile of equipment looking for a good home - bear in mind
when reading this that there's nothing less than a year old.

Three complete, working boxes:

* AMD Duron 800MHz, 256MB RAM, 30+GB HDD across 3 units (one 20GB, and
two smaller).  The 20GB is mounted in a 5.25 inch removable caddy, and
the unit sports a rather nice 400W QTEC Gold PSU.

* P3 600MHz, 128MB RAM, about 2GB of storage across 2 HDs, previously
functioning as a router.  You can probably pinch on of the other HDs
to boost capacity if needed.

* The star of the show, a 386SX at unspecified speed (probably
16-20MHz), with 40MB HD and 8MB of RAM

Other bits and pieces:

* A HP DeskJet 960C, with spare cartridges
* A Star LC-240C colour dot-matrix printer, with spare ribbons
* A non-descript bit of video hardware which we *think* might be a
Formosa DVD8300 MPEG-2 decoder card
* Two monitors, an AOC 19" and a LOGIX 17"
* D-Link DE-650CT PCMCIA Ethernet card, with an adapter with both BNC
and RJ45 uplink ports
* 8-port 10Mbit Ethernet hub
* Keyboards, mice, lots of various cables
* An old 4-port keyboard and monitor switch (no mouse)

As far as software goes, most of it would now be out-of-date, however,
these are boxed products, complete with printed and bound manuals
(being the bits you can't download) - some may be useful while others
are more certainly to interest collectors only:

Mandrake Power Pack 7.2 8.0 8.1
SuSE Professional 6.4 7.0
RedHat 5.2 6.1
Solaris x86 8.0
Editions of the SunONE Starter Kit dated variously between 2002 and 2004

There are also a multitude of books, most of which are dated, others
will be of no interest at all (e.g. Microsoft Windows User's Guide).
I have some photos of the bookcase, and will be listing some of the
material left after I took a few - there's various books on design, as
well as recent-ish O'Reilly and Wrox titles.

I will pass on contact numbers, etc. - ask me off-list for details.

--
Chris Jackson
Now with enhanced time-wasting capabilities