[SWLUG] Interesting experience

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 30 17:53:04 UTC 2005

I just had an interesting experience today.

I have a HP a705w desktop PC in front of me with a
paltry 256mb RAM. According to HP and according to the
HP website, it takes PC2700 memory. So... I opened it
up, having bought PC2700 memory and took out some
PC3100 memory. OK... dual compatible I thought,
removing the 256mb stick and inserting the new stick.
Having seated the memory properly I switched on the
computer and heard a nasty sizzling noise, saw some
blue smoke and yellow flames coming from the newly
inserted memory module. Thank goodness I was able to
switch over and it was just the memory module that had
fried.

What I'm trying to work out now is whether HP has put
a strange motherboard in that takes only PC3100 or
whether the memory was DOA. Ideas?