[SWLUG] Interesting experience

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Thu Jun 30 19:11:02 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 18:53 +0100, Rhys Sage wrote:
> I just had an interesting experience today.
>
> I have a HP a705w desktop PC in front of me with a
> paltry 256mb RAM. According to HP and according to the
> HP website, it takes PC2700 memory.

Dont buy cheap unbranded ram, its a false economy.

buy from a reliable vendor, eg crucial
they list many motherboard/pc manufacturers and will guarantee that the
ram they supply for a given model will work in it.

you can also test the motherboard to find out what speed the ram is
currently running, the bios should have told you.  programs  like
memtest86 can tell you, and i think crucial now have some windows
software that can tell you.