[SWLUG] Giving up Windows

Steve Anderson steve at twindx.com
Tue Mar 1 14:40:36 UTC 2005

Hello all

I'm looking to knock my reliance on Windows on the head. Virtually
everything I do on a daily basis I can do on a Linux machine now...
virtually. There's still a couple of things I'm looking to get right
before I make that step, mainly to do with video.

I record stuff to DVD+RW on my domestic DVD recorder, extract the DVD-VR
streams (different to regular DVD-Video) to my hard drive, edit out the
adverts, put in proper chapters, add menus and then burn to DVD+R. On
Windows, this is done using the TMPGEnc tools rather nicely. Has anyone
got any suggestions of ways to do this on my Linux box? I've managed to
install TMPG MPEG Editor and DVD Author using WINE, but there seems to
be a problem showing directory trees which makes it impossible to
extract the MPEG streams in the first place. The software runs fine
otherwise, even if all the windows are #0000FF instead of a pleasing
grey hue.

Any suggestions regarding either an open-source alternative (preferable)
or a fix for WINE-ing it?

I also piddle about with my digital camera, taking short video clips
which come off as MJPEG AVI files, to do little montage things. Any
suggestions for a non-linear editor? I've tried Kino but it's entrenched
in 'real' video (DV codecs and the likes), and so doesn't like my little
scrappy efforts. Again, open-source is preferable but if there's
something WINEable, I'll be happy to try. (I have a licenced copy of an
oldish Adobe Premier as well as some things that have come with video
and Firewire cards but they may be a little heavyweight for a 1GHz box.)

Finally... any suggestions for something to organise photos? I'm a Gnome
man and have no KDE software at all, and would like to not have to
install loads of QT libraries just to organise some snapshots! iPhoto on
the Mac is lovely, so anything along those lines would be fab.

Thanks in advance, y'all.

Steve