[SWLUG] Giving up Windows

Peter Prior swlug at nermal.org
Tue Mar 1 14:49:16 UTC 2005

Hi,

Steve Anderson wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I'm looking to knock my reliance on Windows on the head. Virtually
> everything I do on a daily basis I can do on a Linux machine now...
> virtually. There's still a couple of things I'm looking to get right
> before I make that step, mainly to do with video.
>
> I record stuff to DVD+RW on my domestic DVD recorder, extract the DVD-VR
> streams (different to regular DVD-Video) to my hard drive, edit out the
> adverts, put in proper chapters, add menus and then burn to DVD+R. On
> Windows, this is done using the TMPGEnc tools rather nicely. Has anyone
> got any suggestions of ways to do this on my Linux box? I've managed to
> install TMPG MPEG Editor and DVD Author using WINE, but there seems to
> be a problem showing directory trees which makes it impossible to
> extract the MPEG streams in the first place. The software runs fine
> otherwise, even if all the windows are #0000FF instead of a pleasing
> grey hue.

Umm.. I know that mythtv can record tv shows into mpeg streams and has
automatic advert detection (I think).  It's basically a whole PVR
project.  See http://mythtv.org for more info.

Tried mainactor?  http://www.mainconcept.com/mainactor.shtml

> Finally... any suggestions for something to organise photos? I'm a Gnome
> man and have no KDE software at all, and would like to not have to
> install loads of QT libraries just to organise some snapshots! iPhoto on
> the Mac is lovely, so anything along those lines would be fab.

Tried f-spot?

GTK mono app.  Should be able to install it in ubuntu by just doing
apt-get install f-spot if you are on hoary and have universe in your apt
sources.

http://www.gnome.org/projects/f-spot/

Pete