[SWLUG] Re: Linux Video Capture

Steve Anderson steve at twindx.com
Tue Mar 1 15:39:25 UTC 2005

Well, thanks everyone - this seems to be a very interesting topic!

Further to all the earlier posts, I just discovered a program called
LiVES ( http://www.xs4all.nl/~salsaman/lives/ )which sounds promising
for what I want to do with clips of things. This led me to this page,
describing using it for doing Anime Music Video work:

http://www.reimeika.ca/lives/lives_guide.html

Which has, at the bottom, a list of other programs worth checking,
including avidemux (which I used about a year ago to encode an AVI as an
MPEG that my rather modest PC at the time could play, and did a sterling
job), and these:

http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/ (for completeness sake)
http://openvip.sourceforge.net/ (interesting looking)
http://www.jahshaka.com/ (odd looking, but I might investigate)
http://lvempeg.sourceforge.net/ (basic looking but might do the trick)

So, I'm going to give a couple of these a whirl and will report back for
anyone who's interested. I'll also see what I can do with WINE and
TMPGEnc, purely because I've got it already and would continue to use it
if I weren't looking at ditching Windows.

Steve