[SWLUG] Employment agencies

Gerald Davies gerald.davies at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 17:45:38 UTC 2005

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 17:12:28 -0000, Tony Pursell
<ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> Assuming that you are looking for a computing job in this area, set up a
> search for appropriate jobs in South Wales on Jobsite, Jobserve and
> Monster (can't remember the URLs offhand - Google for them).  They
> will all email you lists of jobs each day.  That's the way I am looking at
> present.
>
> As for Agencies, there is Hays, Reed, Jennifer Griffiths & a few other
> small (and generally useless) ones.  Hays and Reed have websites that
> you can set up email alerts form as well.

Most agencies are rubbish tbh.

When looking I tend to scan cwjobs and jobserve, then if something
takes my fancy I phone them up and ask questions.   If its suitably
abstract then I tend to be more interested :)

Another suggestion, depending on what you want, is to consider where
you want to work.  I currently work for a uni, they advertise jobs on
their site and I know Hospitals also do the same.  It could provide
you with a good opening with interesting work.  (I know, I know - some
people hate the thought of working in private / public sectors)

Yet another avenue is to read the career prospectus that are offered
when you left uni and write speculative letters (I know this works - I
had an interview once at Orange, shame the job was pants).

Finally, start chatting to relatives, friends, friends of friends,
mailing lists, anyone in the street...etc.  You all know how IT works
;-)

My 2p worth,