[SWLUG] Employment agencies

Adam Rykala adam at rykala.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 2 00:52:34 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 02 March 2005 12:38 am, Gerald Davies wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 00:28:28 +0000, Adam Rykala <adam at rykala.demon.co.uk>
wrote:
> > Hey watch it G!!! ;-)
>
> i'm not knocking them - my time spent studying was the happiest of my life
> ;-) i just find it amusing that its often used as a requirement for jobs
> that could be done from a'level.
>
> > Actually being a mature student was the best thing I've ever down... It
> > does teach research skills, collaborative working, group research (not
> > that I needed to learn these, 10 years beating NT and Exchange servers to
> > death with a stick does it better!)
> >
> > I'll agree about a bare B.Sc, but the course list for my M.Phys looks
> > pretty nasty in year 4....
>
> I do occasionally ponder on studying for another degree or masters.
> i'll refrain from mentioning in what field..haha.
>
> btw, adam, in what field do you intend on applying your degree and
> how? do you have some sort of plan? or was the degree out of interest
> in that field? :-)  I only ask since i work with your peers and it
> interests me.  apologies if thats too personal.

No problem....

I was doing an Astrophysics degree at 18 (Queen Mary, Uni of London) but in
truth I was too young and drunk to apply myself...

Now... I'm looking at trying to go further (already thinking of applying for a
Doctorate ;);) ) or doing the M.Sc in Communicating Science in Techniquest...

Im 36, so the big astronomical things for me growing up were Viking, Voyager
and the Shuttle - I really have a deep deep interest in the sky! Research
wise I'd love to do planetary stuff (as I get older I get more and more
interested in Geology)... I was made redundant in 2003 - and jokingly said to
my wife "perhaps I should go for that degree" and was shocked when she
agreed!!!

Partly its also for my father - who desperately wanted me to get my degree at
21 but I let him down - he died the year I came home and this M.Phys is as
much for him as me...

I found myself in IT as I had an A Level in it ( ;);) shows what you said!)
and  ended up on the treadmill... As I get older I'm looking for more then
just superficial contentment - I've always been a ponderer!!

--
adam rykala / adam at rykala.demon.co.uk / pgp key id: 0x7f3c5776

	 Now on CD ROM, classic taglines of the computer era.