[SWLUG] Broadband in Ponty.

Gerald Davies gerald.davies at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 21:20:23 UTC 2005

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:19:12 +0000, Mike C <mike at iamthepenguin.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We're looking to possibly move to Pontypridd from Cardiff in the spring so we
> won't be able to have NTL cable broadband anymore. BT's website says that the
> local exchange supports ADSL up to 2mb, so at least we're not stuck with
> 56k ;-)

umm, i was on the roath exchange in cardiff since it was enabled
(early 2000-ish) and i've only just been able to receive it.  don't
assume just because your exchange supports xDSL that you can get it!

> My question is, does anyone have a good recommendation for a broadband
> provider? BT themselves do a good 2mb package but i'm a bit wary of them.

i can't answer that - i've only just signed up with pipex, but it
wasn't 2mb.  its just been bumped up to 1mb.

> The other question is, where do i stand with my wireless network? Would it be
> possible to use a combo ADSL-modem/router and forward it to my non-ADSL
> wireless router and carry on as normal? Are there any potential Linux-related
> pitfalls i should be wary of?

can't see why not.  not sure there would be any "linux-related"
pitfalls if you're connecting one router to what is essentially
another router.  the only difference is wifi.  i guess you could just
plug in the modem router as normal and have the AP hanging off it (is
it one of those 4port jobs?).  x-over cable might be required
depending on what you do and what the hardware is.