[SWLUG] Kylix 3 and Ubuntu

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Thu May 19 20:10:34 UTC 2005

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 09:42:59PM +0100 or thereabouts, Andrew Sprott wrote:
> Hi Ppl,
>
> I've just installed Ubuntu 4.1 and tried installing Kylix 3
> professional and got the following response when I ran 'sh setup.sh'
>
> Checking dependencies...
> WARNING: could not locate libX11.so
> Kernel version >= 2.2.0....OK
> Glibc version >= 2.1.2....OK
> X11 Server....OK
> Libjpeg version >= 6.2.0....OK
> setup.sh: line 350: [: x11-2: integer expression expected
> setup.sh: line 352: [: x11-2: integer expression expected
> setup.sh: line 354: [: x11-2: integer expression expected
> setup.sh: line 350: [: x11-2: integer expression expected
> setup.sh: line 352: [: x11-2: integer expression expected
> setup.sh: line 354: [: x11-2: integer expression expected
> Libgtk version >= 1.2.0....FAILED
>
> Are there any work arounds or fixes for this?

Obviously the warning is not meant to be fatal, because the
shell script continues. But it might be worth finding out
where libX11.so lives, just in case. Mine is in /usr/X11R6/lib/
That's on a Fedora box. Debian and Ubuntu might put it
somewhere else, but I think X libraries (as opposed to X
servers) are included in the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
and thus supposed to be in specific places.

The "[: x11-2: integer expression expected" stuff looks like
there's an error in the shell script. My shell scripting is
still at about chapter 2 of the O'Reilly book. But a guess:

I think it's a typo in the script. Perhaps a missing square
bracket or something? bash can spill out all manner of odd
complaints when you omit a bracket or miss the ; key and type
a ' mark instead.

If you can send lines 350-354 and thereabouts to the list,
someone who understands this stuff can make a better guess.

I wonder if the "x11" bit of the errors means that being
unable to find libX11.so is more fatal than it seems.

Telsa, who should not make silly guesses at 10pm at night