[SWLUG] Kylix 3 and Ubuntu

Andrew Sprott andrew at crysania.co.uk
Sat May 21 23:17:01 UTC 2005

Hi Telsa

>> I've just installed Ubuntu 4.1 and tried installing Kylix 3
>> professional and got the following response when I ran 'sh setup.sh'
>>
>> Checking dependencies...
>> WARNING: could not locate libX11.so
>> Kernel version >= 2.2.0....OK
>> Glibc version >= 2.1.2....OK
>> X11 Server....OK
>> Libjpeg version >= 6.2.0....OK
>> setup.sh: line 350: [: x11-2: integer expression expected
>> setup.sh: line 352: [: x11-2: integer expression expected
>> setup.sh: line 354: [: x11-2: integer expression expected
>> setup.sh: line 350: [: x11-2: integer expression expected
>> setup.sh: line 352: [: x11-2: integer expression expected
>> setup.sh: line 354: [: x11-2: integer expression expected
>> Libgtk version >= 1.2.0....FAILED
>>
>> Are there any work arounds or fixes for this?
>
>Obviously the warning is not meant to be fatal, because the
>shell script continues. But it might be worth finding out
>where libX11.so lives, just in case. Mine is in /usr/X11R6/lib/
>That's on a Fedora box. Debian and Ubuntu might put it
>somewhere else, but I think X libraries (as opposed to X
>servers) are included in the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
>and thus supposed to be in specific places.
>
>The "[: x11-2: integer expression expected" stuff looks like
>there's an error in the shell script. My shell scripting is
>still at about chapter 2 of the O'Reilly book. But a guess:
>
>I think it's a typo in the script. Perhaps a missing square
>bracket or something? bash can spill out all manner of odd
>complaints when you omit a bracket or miss the ; key and type
>a ' mark instead.
>
>If you can send lines 350-354 and thereabouts to the list,
>someone who understands this stuff can make a better guess.
>
>I wonder if the "x11" bit of the errors means that being
>unable to find libX11.so is more fatal than it seems.
>
>Telsa, who should not make silly guesses at 10pm at night

Here is the code...

350   if [ $major -gt $GTK_MAJOR ]; then
351      gtkOK=0
352   elif [ $major -eq $GTK_MAJOR -a $minor -gt $GTK_MINOR ]; then
353      gtkOK=0
354   elif [ $major -eq $GTK_MAJOR -a $minor -eq $GTK_MINOR -a $build -ge $GTK_BUILD ]; then
         gtkOK=0
      fi

      if [ $gtkOK -eq 0 ]; then
         gtk_version="$major.$minor.$build"