[SWLUG] linux not really a desktop system yet?

Neil Jones linlist2 at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Sun May 22 16:31:42 UTC 2005

The following comes from the BBC's click on-lie program website.

I used to agree that Linux still had some shortcomings as a desktop system.
I no longer do so. When I installed my current distro I installed it and it
set up everything for me with very little intervention at all.

I have had to no nothing to configure or alter anything since I installed it.
I know I am a techie but I haven't needed any more techie knowledge than I
would for Windoze.

Do others agree? If so how do we change the BBC's mind?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/4565581.stm

Stephen also said:

"Desktop PCs have had to wait quite a long time to move to 64-Bit operating
Systems." And got this response:

"Not so. 64-Bit hardware has been in the desktop arena for at least a year and
Linux has been there to run it. Just because Microsoft are late to the party
does not imply the party hasn't started yet."
 J Pelan

Indeed, the AMD 64 chip was launched in September 2003, and Linux can run
using it.

Absolutely true. Good point, well made.

I am not sure you will like Stephen's answer:

"I believe that it still isn't time to call Linux a 'desktop' operating
system. It simply isn't as usable for everyone as Windows and OS X are.

"It will be soon, but, for the time being at least, Click Online doesn't think
it is."

We will be taking a look at Linux soon and we will be sure to look at the
64-Bit distributions.
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk