[SWLUG] Codepage problems with PuTTY

Glenn Booth d.glenn.booth at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 21:06:52 UTC 2005

Hi,

I've been running SSH to my Ubuntu boxes a lot recently, often using PuTTY 0.58
as the SSH client on an XP box. All works fine, except for some
problems getting certain ASCII characters rendered correctly.

Put simply, I'm not sure how to get Ubuntu 5.04 and 5.10 to tell me
which character sets they use, in particular over SSH. Can anyone
help?

If I thought the rogue characters would survive a trip through gmail's
text processing I'd paste some in, but the chances are slim to none
:-) The clue is whichever character man version 2.4.2 uses as a
seperator when it wraps a word over two lines - I'm seeing a string of
three high ASCII characters instead of a hypen. Tried various
character page translations in PuTTY with differing but still wrong
results. It also happens in vim when typing shift-3 - I get high ascii
rubbish.

Any pointers thankefully received!

Ta,

Glenn.