[SWLUG] poking postfix ....

Pete Phillips pete at smtl.co.uk
Sun Oct 9 14:52:44 UTC 2005

Thanks for the welcome to the group chaps (and chapesses ?).

Just a quickie ....

Our lab spun off a commercial company from the NHS earlier on in the
year (Zoobiotic - they produce and sell sterile maggots for wound
debridement - see www.larve.com if you are really interested), and we
support some of their clinical advisors with laptops with dial up
connections.

We recently upgraded to Suse 9.3 on them (I think they were running
9.1), and whereas before I was able to kick sendmail/postfix to process
the queue each time they connected to their ISP by adding something to
/etc/ppp/ip-up.local such as /usr/lib/sendmail -q, the new system uses
smpppd to do everything, and, as far as I can see, constructs the if-up
files on the fly somewhere in /var and removes them after the
connection.

Anybody understand enough about how Suse 9.3 does this and how we can
add some commands to run once the connection is established ?   I'd like
to kick fetchmail at the same time although have solved this by making
it poll every minute :-(

Your thoughts welcomed

Cheers,
Pete