[SWLUG] Re: New mwmber Music composition

Pete Phillips pete at smtl.co.uk
Sun Oct 9 19:40:05 UTC 2005

Hi Dick

    Dick> I assume you've tried lilypond (http://www.lilypond.org) then,
    Dick> but on the offchance you haven't - it's a music typesetting
    Dick> system rather than a gui editor.

Yep - in fact I have arranged some vocal music with lilypond - the
layout is beautiful, but try arranging piano, keyboards, drums, bass,
guitar, 2 saxophones and a trumpet with it :-)

    Dick> I tend to use rosegarden's (http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/)
    Dick> editor for the initial entry, and then export to the lilypond
    Dick> format for tweaking by hand.  Works quite well for the simple
    Dick> layouts I use it for.

Rosegarden is OK but it is more akin to Cubase for score editing. It
works well as a sequencer but I don't do much sequencing these days.
It's been a more than 6 months since I last tried rosegarden so I will
give it another blast anyway.

Cheers
Pete