[SWLUG] introduction

Glenn Booth d.glenn.booth at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 10:54:47 UTC 2005

Hi,

On 10/10/05, Rhys Hardwick <rhys at rhyshardwick.co.uk> wrote:
> This is amazing.  I'll explain why now.
>
> I am a medical student at Cardiff Uni.  I have heard a speech from the
> spikey haired A&E consultant when I did a placement in Bridgend!  A very
> good speech if I remember correctly as well.  She's new there, and
> challenged old ways of thinking, which is always good to see.

That sounds like Sarah - "challenging old ways of thinking" is right
up her street!
Small world. She'll be pleased you enjoyed it.

>  The old
> consultants which always turn up didn't seem to like it much! Fab!

Yeah, that sounds right too! Anyone who still thinks they work in
"casualty" rather than "The Emergency Department" is probably not
going to like her attitudes :-) A bit too forward thinking for the old
school, maybe.

> And a question for Pete.  Do you know anything about open source adoption
> in Princess of Wales.  I have seen openoffice on the clinical
> workstations, which is fab.  I wonder if you have any inside gossip on
> getting more open source onto the clinical workstations...

I'd be interested to know that too. I've been talking to some people
at Informing Healthcare, and in the NHS library, and there are some
good attitudes towards free software. No idea what the management
thinks though...

Regards,

Glenn.