[SWLUG] introduction

Matt Hill matt at twpsyn.com
Tue Oct 11 23:39:20 UTC 2005

On 11 Oct 2005, at 11:54, Glenn Booth wrote:

> I'd be interested to know that too. I've been talking to some people
> at Informing Healthcare, and in the NHS library, and there are some
> good attitudes towards free software. No idea what the management
> thinks though...

I'm not sure how free software friendly IHC are, certainly I've not
heard of any direction coming from them on that matter, in fact there
are plans afoot for an active directory forest to cover the whole of
NHS Wales, and several of the core NHSW services have recently been
migrated to windows boxes. Decidedly Microsoft friendly then?

One of the main problems is the perceived lack of accountability.
It's been the case for some time with NHSW that the people providing
the money want someone outside the NHS to pin the blame on should
anything go wrong. That's why the data network was outsourced instead
of upgrading the already existing circuits (that and supporting 700
GP surgeries would need a big team).

At this point I should introduce myself:

My name is Matt, I tend to be called "Twpsyn" online. I currently
work in the Data Networking team at Health Solutions Wales, part of
Velindre Trust. My job is to look after the NHS Wales data and video
networks, kick BT when things go wrong that they should be fixing,
Cable & Wireless when it's their fault, and generally to make sure
that the core of the network is a happy place for packets to move
through. If you're on an NHS Wales network and you can't get to the
internet, you can feel free to throw bricks at me.

Regards

Matt