[SWLUG] From sheet music to noises.

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Oct 16 05:09:52 UTC 2005

On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 12:16:50AM +0100 or thereabouts, Pete Phillips wrote:
> Telsa
>
> I haven't used rosegarden for a while, but I'm pretty sure last time I
> was able to use timidity (the software sound module/sequencer). The
> rosegarden/timidity combination should therefore do what you need.

These sound like the names I have heard of. They were suggested in
private email as well. (Twice in the case of rosegarden.)

> I just picked up the latest rosegarden (not CVS) (having been prompted
> by some emails from others in the swlug) and have started a
> compile. Will have a butchers in the morning to check if it does what
> you want.

Aww! That's really kind. Having started this discussion, I am now going
to be away from the keyboard for a few days, (ahem) but I am looking forward
to getting back and seeing how this all goes.

> I assume you just want the alto line (or do you want the whole shebang
> ?)

The alto is the important bit for now. The whole shebang would be
interesting, but only as a afterthought.

> Will update you on my investigations on Sunday.  The other alternative
> is for you to scan the music, email it to me for me to play it into my
> iriver and save it as an mp3/ogg.

No hurry on this from my point of view. I am hoping to get these
things set up so that I don't have to ask people to do that sort
of thing for me, too.

And to the person who asked "Which choir are you in?", I'm not sure
that going to a grand total of one practice really counts as being in
a choir. My evenings have become so ridiculously busy that I'm not
even certain I'll get to two in a row yet. So I shall not expose them
to public hilarity along the lines of "they took _who_?" just yet :)

Telsa