[SWLUG] From sheet music to noises.

Pete Phillips pete at smtl.co.uk
Sun Oct 16 10:29:35 UTC 2005

    Telsa> Aww! That's really kind. Having started this discussion, I am
    Telsa> now going to be away from the keyboard for a few days, (ahem)
    Telsa> but I am looking forward to getting back and seeing how this
    Telsa> all goes.

OK - rosegarden compiled OK, and timidity is part of my distro (Suse
9.3). YMMV.

To get this to work, I first started timidity:

 timidity -iA &

then rosegarden

 rosegarden

In rosegarden, click on the blank area to the right of the section which
says "1 O O <untitled>" (the 'O' is actually an LED type light). This
should pull up the score editor. To get a clef, click on the required
clef in the toolbar on the LHS, and then click at the start of the
stave. Similar for notes - click on the note (crotchet, quaver etc) and
a crosshair appears - click on, for example, G and the note will
appear. You should hear the sound as you create the note.

Enter 4-5 notes, and then close (or save - it will prompt you for a
file) and drop you back to the sequencer view. Click the 'play' button
on the transport bar (the same button you press on a cassette tape
recorder) and you *should* hear your music.

Now my first problem was I just had one bar in the score editor. To get
more bars I used the main RG window and dragged the RHS of the box (now
probably labelled "Acoustic Grand Piano") for as many bars as you
want. Look at the score editor and you should see the extra empty bars.

Also, you don't have to drop back to the sequencer window to play back -
there is a transport control in the score editor as well.

Let us know how you get on.
Pete