[SWLUG] Coaster and Arson with Mandrake 10.1 Official/KDE 3.2

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Mon Oct 31 11:50:34 UTC 2005

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Justin wrote:

> most tools would default to no-multisession, so if youve already burnt
> the cd like that then afaik theres nothing more you can do with it.

Correct, if the disc has been closed you can't add a session
because the relevent gaps haven't been left (unless it's an RW - you
might be able to re-open them, maybe).

> but ive never tried multisession, or udf, never seen the point, if your
> going to want to reuse a disk buy a cdrw instead.

Multisession is possibly useful for incremental backups, although you lose
something like 40MB of the disc for every session you open, so you don't
need a lot of sessions to eat up a CD.  In most cases, probably better to
use an RW and suck the existing data off, wipe and then burn the data back
with any new stuff on top - especially with the cheap prices of RWs these
days.
I did play with packet writing under Windoze about 7 years ago and came to
the conclusion it was a bit of a waste of time - it's slow and in my
experience prone to failure coz if something breaks you can lose the whole
disc (admittedly technology has advanced since then, but I lost several
discs like that and gave up).  It's less important these days anyway
given that hard drives are *way* bigger than CDs (or even dual-layer
DVDs) and with the speed of the drives it's not that much effort to just
wipe an RW and re-burn it with up to date data.

--

  - Steve