[SWLUG] Emprex ext DVD now not recog

Stephanos stephanos at writeme.com
Mon Oct 31 19:46:11 UTC 2005

Dear All

Mandrake 10.1 Official/KDE 3.2, ext Emprex DVD writer

I recently purchased an Emprex ext DVD writer and forgot to check if it
was in the Mandrake Certified or Compatible category.  It is not.  I
have used it to view a DVD film and I have once written some data to a CD.
This group has assisted me with info about burning applications that use
multi sessions. K3B was recommended and I set about using it.  But
before I cold burn anything else the the dam DVD will not get recognised
during boot up or after boot up if I insert the USB cable.

I have exhausted my limited knowledge, read manuals and tried the following:

After clicking the icon on the desktop I get an error message:
"mount: /dev/sr0 is not a valid block device
Please check that the disk is entered correctly."

Harddrake reveals and entry under "DVDROM"
"Identification
Vendor: ‎Unknown
   Disk identifi[root at cpc3-sket1-4-0-cust88 stephanos]# fdisk -l /dev/sr0
   Note: sector size is 2048 (not 512)
   Media class: ‎cdrom (Mass Storage|SCSI|Bulk (Zip))
Bus identification
   Vendor ID: ‎1134
   Device ID: ‎12293
Connection
   Bus: ‎SCSI (USB) (2)
   Channel: ‎0
   Logical unit number: ‎0
Device
   Old device file: ‎/dev/sr0
   New devfs device: ‎/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd
Misc
   Device USB ID: ‎3fdisk -l /dev/sr0
   Disk controller: ‎0
   Module: ‎usb-storage (usb-storage)"

So I ran the config tool to see what else can learn and it reveals the
following options:
"     Mount Point: /mnt/cdrom2,
     Mount Options: user, noauto,
  File System Type: auto"

Further down HardDrake an Unknown USB storage Device was listed
Identification
Vendor: ‎Unknown
Media class: ‎Mass Storage|SCSI|Bulk (Zip)
Connection
Bus: ‎USB
Bus PCI #: ‎2
PCI device #: ‎3
Vendor ID: ‎1134Disk /dev/sr0: 656 MB, 656203776 bytes
Device ID: ‎12293
Misc
Module: ‎usb-storage
The only other thing I think this could be is my USB scanner.  So I
tested the scanner and it works OK.

Undeterred I tried the fdisk option.
Log in as root in a terminal
Type "# fdisk -l /dev/sr0" and then used the icon to try and mount to
cdrom2.  "mount: /dev/sr0 is not a valid block device.  Please check
that the disk is entered correctly."
Well it was.

I tried the "New devfs device: listed in HardDrake:
  fdisk -l /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd.
Nothing

So I read the manual which mentioned supermount and returmned to the
config tool in HardDrake
"Mount Options: user, noauto" and put a tick in supermount as well.

I rebooted
Tried the icon on the desktop and this time did not get any error
message just a blank konqueror looking at /mnt/cdrom2.  This felt like
progress but remember I know nothing.

Next came fdisk again, as root.
"# fdisk -l /dev/sr0
Note: sector size is 2048 (not 512)
Disk /dev/sr0: 656 MB, 656203776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 2048 = 32901120 bytes
Disk /dev/sr0 doesn't contain a valid partition table
[root at cpc3-sket1-4-0-cust88 stephanos]#"
This was something but I am not sure what and there was a cd  in the drive.

Next I tried to mount it manually
"# mount -t auto /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom2
mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: No medium found
[root at cpc3-sket1-4-0-cust88 stephanos]#"
Fascinating, but there was a cd in the drive, one I made previously.

So I tried again with a pre made data CD.
"[root at cpc3-sket1-4-0-cust88 stephanos]# mount -t auto /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom2
mount: No medium found
[root at cpc3-sket1-4-0-cust88 stephanos]#"
Maddening.

Am I just wasting my time.  I do have the option to return the DVD and
pursue one that is certified.

Any help appreciated.

Stephen