[SWLUG] Kernel panic - not synci

Glasiad glasiad at LINUXQUESTIONS.NET
Sat Apr 1 18:05:18 UTC 2006

Hi Julian ac eraill,

I'm a persistant prober and proder when it comes to Unix/Linux boxes and have had more kernel panic attacks than you could shake a stick at. (Actually I believe kernels start to quietly panic the minute I sit down in front of a computer.) My experience tells me that your boot loader (lilo or grub) is doing something naughty. Some may like to try and get the loader back on the straight and narrow but I tend to take the caveman approach - overwrite it with a boot loader that works like it should.

May I suggest you boot up with System Rescue CD ,a mini-Linux distro(100 odd MBs), that has yet to fail me in these situations. Boot up with it and type 'gag' (a Portugese acronym for Graphical Grub Boot Loader Installation Tool), enter, and you will be presented with an easy to use menu. Follow the instructions to install the Boot Loader. Reboot. Problem solved. It works with any operating system, even Windows, as well as 8 or more other operating systems on different partitions on different hard disks - all at the same time - and you even get to pick the picture button you want to use for each OS.

In the meantime you can run your box on any of the live distros, like Knoppix for example, one of the best distros available today - live or dead (in my opinion). Everyone, even Windows-only users should have a decent live distro in their back pocket.

Your comment about 'going back to Windows', or something like that interested me. When it comes to operating systems I'm unashamedly polygamous. Currently I uese Windows Xp only for printing CD labels and manipulating images with Photoshop? Why? Because they are good programmes that only run on Windows (and I don't have the time or patience to learn GIMP right now). I'm a pragmatic bastard when it comes to getting things done. But I never use Windows to go on the Internet - I'm too afraid of the cesspools of spybots and viruses out there just waiting for me. I like choice - not loyalty. Truth be out, I have more in common with anarchists than loyalists, that's for sure.

End of sermon,

Pob lwc, hwyl

Glasiad ap Gruffydd