[SWLUG] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3, 8)

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 19:36:23 UTC 2006

On 31/03/06, Julian Hall <lists at kaotic.co.uk> wrote:

> Bit more info if it helps:
>
> Distro: Xandros 3.0 OCE
> boot using LILO
> selected menu item (Xandros)
> then I get:
>
> BIOS data check successful
> Uncompressing Linux... OK, booting the kernel
> audit(1143836280.4294966570.0): initialized
> Using /modules/splashFXmod.ko
> Using /modules/mbcache.ko
> Using /modules/ide-disk.ko
> Using /modules/ext2.ko
> sh: error opening /proc/software_suspend/do_resume: No such file or
> directory
>
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(3, 8)

As someone has already said, this looks very much like it's trying to resume
a suspended session. I'd guess that the partition it's trying to resume from
is either corrupted or isn't a suspend file/partition.

I recently had a similar error message from Ubuntu, when I was trying to
upgrade from Hoary (5.04) to Breezy (5.10). The only difference in my error
was the numbers at the end - I had (0,0). I found the problem in the Ubuntu
forums - the initrd was corrupted. The solution in my case (which has taken
me over a week to actually carry out) was to use a Ubuntu Live CD and chroot
into my hard disk partition. Then I upgraded the kernel version which
created a new initrd.

I don't know if something like this would work in your case, but I had to
use the Ubuntu Live CD - tried Knoppix and it wouldn't run apt-get after I
chrooted, something to do with the way /dev was set up. It's quite a nice
technique to use to fix a broken install, which is why I mentioned it.

Please bear in mind I have no idea what most of that means, I've just
> copied it off the screen of the laptop in the hope someone can explain
> how the heck to get my system back (preferably without reinstalling as
> the Cardbus config to get the wireless up and running is a total
> *nightmare*
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

Cheers,