[SWLUG] Avi splitter and burner

AlunPD alun.pd1 at ntlworld.com
Sun Apr 2 00:57:29 UTC 2006

I do a lot of my work these days in Linux and I am by no means realy
proficent in the OS but prefere using it, however I am totally stumped when
it comes to burning AVI files, as the burning programme K3B does not seem to
want to do anything for me it wont recognise the extension and tells me that
it will only burn MPEG files, so I have to transfere the files to windows
and then use AVI splitter to make the files smaller so that I can then burn
them to a CD the other thing the Avi splitter does is convert the file into
something that the burner can recognise also.

Is there a programme that I can get in Linux that will do the job of
splitting them and then allow me to burn them to CD, I have searched the web
in Google linux and when I find a file that says it is for Linux when I go
to download it all i get is an .EXE file.

The other problem I have is I only know how to open an RPM file and that
installed through YAST I use SUSE.

I do not have the faintest how to compile or to install a programme from a
.tar extension.

Perhaps someone can give me the KISS meathod of using the other means of
opening and adding a programme into Linux.

I have an old computer her in the house so I think I will get it running
with a Linux system on it and realy mess it up on a regular basis as that is
how I learned about windows and what I could and could not do, if I killed
me first windows box once I did it a dozen times before I started to use it
seriously.

Now while not an expert I can hold my own against the OS and can get out of
most difficulties on my own.

This problem of the .AVI files is driving me nuts as there is bound to be a
way of doing it otherwise no one would use the system.

Thanks fopr the advice and help you guys have given me in the past I do
appreciate it.

Alun