[SWLUG] Hello SWLUG

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Thu Aug 3 16:20:49 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 17:07 +0100, Ace Ironballs wrote:
> Hello
>
> My name is Mark and i live in Caerau, Cardiff. I am new to Linux and
> would like to be a part of your group
welcome.

> I have managed to install Ubuntu 5.10 [i got it off ebay] on a old
> computer at home and it hasn't, so far, been the miracle cure for the
> illness that is Microsoft. I guess the problems i am facing are the
> usual ones, bt broadband connection [well, lack of to be honest] and
> my screen is unstable.

If you have problems it will help a lot if you could ask some specific
questions. as a general rule, the more specific you can be about what
your problem is and what you have already tried, the more likely you are
to get helpful answers and suggestions from people.

>  Maybe Ubuntu is not the best introduction to Linux for me or my
> computer?? I would welcome any of your suggestions. I would really
> love to hear if anyone has actually managed to get a Linux OS up and
> running that they are happy with and it is equal to Windows OS.

'equal to windows' is a very subjective thing, it really depends on what
your needs and expectations are and therefore if there is existing open
source software to meet those needs.  If you tell us what tasks you
would like to do, then we can try to suggest programs that will fit the
bill.