[SWLUG] Hello SWLUG

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Aug 3 15:23:54 UTC 2006

Ar Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 05:07:00PM +0100, ysgrifennodd Ace Ironballs:

>   I have managed to install Ubuntu 5.10 [i got it off ebay] on a old
>   computer at home and it hasn't, so far, been the miracle cure for
>   the illness that is Microsoft. I guess the problems i am facing are
>   the usual ones, bt broadband connection [well, lack of to be honest]
>   and my screen is unstable. Maybe Ubuntu is not the best introduction
>   to Linux for me or my computer?? I would welcome any of your
>   suggestions. I would really love to hear if anyone has actually
>   managed to get a Linux OS up and running that they are happy with
>   and it is equal to Windows OS.

To answer the last first: yes, I have been running a Linux system
happily for some years. And I like it very much. But I have very
little experience with Windows, so I can't really compare them.

I think that traditionally there were two big problems when starting
off with Linux. One was to do with setting up the graphical display
(a really really really basic system just has plain text) and the other
was setting up the modem. Things have improved greatly. But it looks
like it's not all entirely perfect yet.

Ubuntu tries to be one of the friendlier distributions. So if we can
get your machine working with it, it's a good choice. Also, I think
there are quite a few people in the LUG who run it, too, which always
increases your chances of getting a useful answer.

It probably helps to know a bit about your computer. Have you put Ubuntu
(only) on it? Or is it dual-booting between Ubuntu and Windows? If it's
dual-booting, does the modem work in Windows?

Telsa

PS: welcome to the LUG!