[SWLUG] Open source on Mac

Rhys Hardwick rhys at rhyshardwick.co.uk
Tue Dec 19 19:13:38 UTC 2006

Dear all,

I am now the proud owner of a MacBook Pro :)  I am using Mac OSX, as
it is so lovely, but I am really missing my open source software.  I
realise most of it is available as ports, but a lot of the command
line stuff isn't, as well as some graphical apps.

I have tried Fink before, but heard that is not so active at the
moment.  I have also been reading a bit about gentoo on mac, but
haven't heard of anyone I know using it.

Does anyone here have any experience using any of these systems?
Anyone have any recommendations?

Rhys