[SWLUG] Open source on Mac

john levin john at technolalia.org
Tue Dec 19 19:58:37 UTC 2006

Rhys Hardwick wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am now the proud owner of a MacBook Pro :)  I am using Mac OSX, as
> it is so lovely, but I am really missing my open source software.  I
> realise most of it is available as ports, but a lot of the command
> line stuff isn't, as well as some graphical apps.
>
> I have tried Fink before, but heard that is not so active at the
> moment.  I have also been reading a bit about gentoo on mac, but
> haven't heard of anyone I know using it.
>
> Does anyone here have any experience using any of these systems?
> Anyone have any recommendations?
>
> Rhys

Have you tried the Darwin Ports project?
http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/
I think it is the most active of the ports systems, though I preferred
Fink (which is still going; see for example http://www.racoonfink.com/,
wheere you can also get OS X native KDE4 alphas.)

The gentoo for os x project appears dormant
http://www.metadistribution.org/macos/

The Free Software Mac Users Group is v. useful for tracking floss apps.
http://www.freesmug.org/

Personally, as I've just got a MacBook Pro, I'm going the virtualization
root, running Ubuntu via Parallels.

HTH

John