[SWLUG] Open source on Mac

James Edgeworth diagmato at black0ps.com
Wed Dec 20 00:07:01 UTC 2006

john levin wrote:
> Rhys Hardwick wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I am now the proud owner of a MacBook Pro :)  I am using Mac OSX, as
>> it is so lovely, but I am really missing my open source software.  I
>> realise most of it is available as ports, but a lot of the command
>> line stuff isn't, as well as some graphical apps.
>>
>> I have tried Fink before, but heard that is not so active at the
>> moment.  I have also been reading a bit about gentoo on mac, but
>> haven't heard of anyone I know using it.
>>
>> Does anyone here have any experience using any of these systems?
>> Anyone have any recommendations?
>>
>> Rhys
>>

> Have you tried the Darwin Ports project?
> http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/
> I think it is the most active of the ports systems, though I preferred
> Fink (which is still going; see for example http://www.racoonfink.com/,
> wheere you can also get OS X native KDE4 alphas.)
>
> The gentoo for os x project appears dormant
> http://www.metadistribution.org/macos/
>
> The Free Software Mac Users Group is v. useful for tracking floss apps.
> http://www.freesmug.org/
>
> Personally, as I've just got a MacBook Pro, I'm going the virtualization
> root, running Ubuntu via Parallels.
>
> HTH
>
> John

Speaking of a Macbook Pro - I'd like to hear people's recommendations
regarding them. They seem to be very pricey, but the apple's "get a mac"
adverts have me curious, as well as seeing a few of them around Uni
doing some funky GUI effects.

I know there's boot camp, for dual booting OS X with Windows, but can it
also dual-boot with Linux?

Other than look lush, and run Ms Office (not really a good thing, but
University requires MS Access :-( ), what does it have/what can it do,
which Linux cant?

(Sorry to budge in with questions)

James