[SWLUG] Introduction

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 24 14:07:05 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 12:20, Julian Hall wrote:

> Chris M. Jackson wrote:
>

> >For all their flaws, NTL have supposedly removed the 1GB/day cap from
> >their 1Mbit and 2Mbit services,
>
> See my reply ;)  They have indeed done that :)
>
> > the cable modem is 100% hardware (no
> >funky firmware drivers required)
>
> Not *quite* true.  The install engineers are under instruction to
> install it on USB (assuming the customer is daft enough to run Windows
> ;)) - probably means the USB drivers incorporate ntl: spyware or am I
> the only suspicious one? ;)  However if you can get them to leave the
> modem and go away you can peel the nasty sticker off the Ethernet port
> and use that instead :)

My understanding is that their windows stuff collects and anonymises
statisitcs on websurfer use.

> >While their customer service is somewhat lacking, once
> >everything is working the uptime is generally good (typically >99%).
>
> Agreed about the CS, even though I used to work for them, I was in
> Tech for 6.5 years.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

I connect via NTL the system works quite well but the Customer Service
isn't just bad it is abysmal, but unless I go through the hassle of
changing to BT and getting more "engineers" in to install things I am
not about to change.

NTL currently have an irritating and misleading message about the Data
Protection Act on their hold message for example. If they can't be
truthful about the law it is not wonder their service is so poor.

Having said that their service isn't as bad as the bank employee who
rang me up and in an attempt ( futile of course if you understand
anything about security) to prove that she actually was from the bank.
READ MY PASSWORD OUT TO ME!!!

Neil Jones
Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk