[SWLUG] Problems with sound

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 24 20:08:54 UTC 2006

Suddenly sound has stopped working under linux on my machine.

I have a wav file which I recorded with my MP3 players built in
microphone off a videoed copy of a radio program  ( NTL sends radio over
the TV and you can video it!). It is a small section of the news on
Radio Cymru from Monday night which contains an interview with me.

I know the file is OK. I have emailed it to Telsa and it played fine for
her. I have taken the extreme step of rebooting into windows and it
plays fine there.

typing
play filename
results in a long wait while the file is apparently played
but no sound.

Does anyone know what might be wrong? And if so how do I fix it?

I'd also appreciate tips for turning it into an MP3.

Neil Jones
Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk