[SWLUG] Apache PHP modules

Peter Bradley apvx95 at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Jul 3 19:14:09 UTC 2006

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your reply ...

Jonathan Wright wrote:

> You can either symlink the php5 directory to php under /usr/lib64
> (although this doesn't work if /usr/lib64/php already exists):
>
> ln -s php5 /usr/lib64/php

The directory structure is:

/usr/lib64

   +-- php
    |      |
    |      +-- extensions

    +-- php5

            +-- extensions

(Hope that formats OK)

So I don't think a symlink is going to work.

The files under /usr/lib64/php/extensions are the shared object files
(such as mysql.so).

The files under /usr/lib64/php5/extensions are executable files (such as
mysql)
> or, you can edit your php.ini (usually under /etc or /etc/php), changing
> the following variable (but if any configuration overwrites this value,
> you're back to square one):
>
> extension_dir = /path/to/extensions

I thought that this would fix it, but unfortunately it doesn't.  Looking
back in the apache2 error_log, I see there is a more fundamental
problem.  It seems that the module versions are not correct, because
there are very many errors of the form:

"PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: \x8cho\xae\xaa*: Unable to initialize module
Module compiled with module API=20020429, debug=0, thread-safety=0
PHP    compiled with module API=20041030, debug=0, thread-safety=0
These options need to match\n in Unknown on line 0"

I really have no idea where to go from here, because the modules were
installed with YaST (originally), and updated via YOU - which is
supposed to avoid this sort of thing.

*sigh*

Peter