[SWLUG] OGG on Sony W810i phone?

Jonathan Wright mail at djnauk.co.uk
Tue Jul 4 15:56:40 UTC 2006

Dave Cridland wrote:
> For bizarre reasons I have yet to understand, mobile phone people are
> not yet shipping Ogg or Vorbis support. Perhaps it's more CPU
> intensive to decode than MP3, or something - mobile phone people are
> universally paranoid of anything touching battery life.

 From what I understand (and it's not a lot :) is that OGG required
floating-point operations to decode correctly. MP3 (and IIRC, ACC and
WMA) don't - they just need integer maths.

As a consequence, the processors that they needs are much simpler,
smaller, less powerful, but more importantly, cheaper. As there isn't
much call for OGG, there isn't much need to add the more expensive variant.

I think there has been a lot of move to create an integer-only decoder
for OGG's, but I don't know how successfully this was/has been.

--
  Jonathan Wright
   ~ mail at djnauk.co.uk
   ~ www.djnauk.co.uk
--
  2.6.15-gentoo-r1-djnauk AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
  up 3 days, 19:51, 1 user, load average: 4.52, 4.06, 2.38

                                                         ~ Bill Kelly